Friday, June 19, 2015

Gale's Gallery XVIV: No Sew Quilt Blocks!

Hello everyone!

Wow!  I didn't realize it had been so long since the last post.  Summer is flying by, following another Ohio non-existent Spring.  It's rained everyday for a couple weeks and boy does my yard look like it!

Audra and I painted this last week to celebrate the 4th.  The side is trimmed in blue and even though there are boo-boos, we like it!
I am always on the lookout for ways to quilt without sewing and paint without being an artist, so this is the perfect project for me!  It is a bit time-consuming, but only because you have to wait for paint to dry before taping next phase.  So, it's a good project to work on in short bursts of time.

I was first inspired to paint a barn quilt after riding through nearby Champaign County and discovering they have a "Quilt Barn Trail."   Unfortunately, I live in a semi-residential neighborhood and my "barn" is really a new-ish white metal pole barn.  Hmmmm... what to do, what to do?

Of course!  The "Chick Inn" hen house would be perfect for a diminutive version!  The "ladies" love to decorate.  (So much, in fact, that I don't decorate my house for holidays anymore.  It's quicker and cheaper to do theirs.)

My first attempt was the Ohio Star pattern and was 18" x 18."  It lives in a cabin in the Smoky Mountains now.  It was on plywood.

How to:

Though I started off using plywood, the gessoed frames from Dick Blick give more dimension and are smooth.  However, it is really important to have a true square and I have yet to get one that was perfect.  It doesn't matter the size as long as it's square, but bigger is easier.

You need really good painter's tape (I like the Frog tape the best, but I used the blue for this and only had a few touch ups.)  You want to press hard on the edges so paint doesn't get under the tape!  I also avoid running the brush into the tape, but rather away from it.

I just use plain old acrylics that I am trying to use up.  I have used patio paint, but I find if you use regular and seal it with polyurethane, it's just fine.  Don't spray the poly in high heat or it may turn yellow...

My blocks hang on the side of the "Chick Inn" that rarely sees rain and direct sunlight, so they last pretty well.  Here is another one...

I've been using this one for a few years.  It's appropriately called the "Hens 'N Chicks" pattern.
Well, must get ready for another showing!  I hope you will try this as it's super easy!

Until next time,

Gale









No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! LMK by email if you have problems commenting or following. I am also grateful if you would kindly refer a friend or two! Thanks!